Kinesiology, also known as human kinetics, is the scientific study of human movement, according to Wikipedia. It addresses physiological, mechanical and psychological mechanisms. The Family Chiropractic and Spinal Health Care Center in Ramsey, N.J., has taken heed of the top twenty fitness trends for 2012 as published in recent American College of Sports Medicine Survey and their Health & Fitness Journal.
The survey, completed by more than 2,600 fitness professionals, suggests that Zumba is in and Pilates is out. Dr. Moe Abtahi states the center closely monitors trends and noted, “Many of the top trends this year are ones we have been advocating for years.”
The top ten trends for 2012 are:
- Educated and experienced fitness professionals (choose yours as one certified through an accredited program)
- Strength training
- Fitness programs for older adults
- Exercise and weight loss
- Children and obesity – experts are working to tailor programs to combat the national epidemic
- Personal training
- Core training
- Group personal training
- Zumba and other dance workouts
- Functional fitness – trend to using strength training to improve balance and ease of daily living
Dr. Abtahi especially endorses the Core Training trend because it emphasizes conditioning of the middle-body muscles, which provide support for the spine. “We encourage our patients to eat properly and exercise properly – it is not good enough just to do the activity without knowing what you are doing.”
The Family Chiropractic and Spinal Health Care Center in Ramsey s a short ride away from Mahwah, NJ, Saddle River, NJ and Suffern, NY. Call us to make an appointment at 201-995-9900.