You can’t escape the compression
From the day we are born, gravity begins working on our spines. Growing up, our young spines are mobile and generally resilient against the downward force of gravity. But as we grow older, this compression effect begins to show its ugly head. Here is the recipe that leads to compression-type back pain:
- Our spines are finite- they weaken with age
- Our weight is naturally more than when we were young, increasing the burden on intervertebral discs
- We are less active in comparison, and we generally sit a lot more, which increases the compressive force of gravity as compared to standing or lying down.
- Many of us sit with poor posture which further increases the pressure.
- There are many other intangible factors which go into this recipe.
The collective effect is an over compression which causes generalized back pain, especially in the lower back, as well as more aggressive conditions including herniated discs, sciatica and degnerative disc disease. The good news is that yoga can help you mitigate all these factors!